[Standards-JIG] XEP-0155: do we need it for SIP?

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 23:12:27 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> OK, now that XEP-0155 (Chat Session Negotiation) is in Last Call, I've
> come to wonder: do we really need it?
>
> One of the main use cases people have in mind for XEP-0155 is enabling
> text chat between XMPP users and SIP users.

It sounds like we may not need it for SIP. However, although the most
important use cases were for SIP when the initial version of the XEP was
authored, they aren't anymore.

XEP-0155 (or some other chat session protocol) is necessary for OTR
negotiation (see XEP-0136) and for end-to-end encryption negotiation
(see XEP-0116). There are other use cases defined in the XEP and  I
expect that once it has been widely implemented XEP-0155 will be used
for an increasing number of applications (negotiated sessions are useful).

In fact in the latest CVS version (0.11) the "Mapping to SIP" section
has moved into a short sub-section of the Implementation Notes. We can
certainly remove it completely if the Jingle folks think that is a good
idea.

Hmm, now we're in last call, maybe that CVS version of XEP-0155 needs to
be published (my bad):
http://www.jabberstudio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cvs/xmpp/extensions/xep-0155.xml

- Ian