[Standards-JIG] XEP-0155: do we need it for SIP?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Nov 9 23:19:16 UTC 2006

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> OK, now that XEP-0155 (Chat Session Negotiation) is in Last Call, I've
>> come to wonder: do we really need it?
>>
>> One of the main use cases people have in mind for XEP-0155 is enabling
>> text chat between XMPP users and SIP users.
>
> It sounds like we may not need it for SIP. However, although the most
> important use cases were for SIP when the initial version of the XEP was
> authored, they aren't anymore.
>
> XEP-0155 (or some other chat session protocol) is necessary for OTR
> negotiation (see XEP-0136) and for end-to-end encryption negotiation
> (see XEP-0116). There are other use cases defined in the XEP and  I
> expect that once it has been widely implemented XEP-0155 will be used
> for an increasing number of applications (negotiated sessions are useful).

In fact Jingle is unusable for such uses, since it uses IQs and the
whole point here is that you may not have information about the other
person's resources (via presence).

> In fact in the latest CVS version (0.11) the "Mapping to SIP" section
> has moved into a short sub-section of the Implementation Notes. We can
> certainly remove it completely if the Jingle folks think that is a good
> idea.

We may want to do that at some point, but now I'm not so sure (see above
on message vs. presence).

> Hmm, now we're in last call, maybe that CVS version of XEP-0155 needs to
> be published (my bad):
> http://www.jabberstudio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cvs/xmpp/extensions/xep-0155.xml

Done.

Jabber Software Foundation