[Standards-JIG] Re: Offline message order

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Nov 13 16:26:04 UTC 2006

Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
>> No matter what the spec says, but what if there is client that ignores
>> timestamps? Wouldn't be nice if the server at last kept the order?
>
> i agree, and this should be no big deal for the server developer if the
> offline messages are stored in a database. The table just needs a auto
> increment or timestamp column then you can sort them in your SQL query.

Once upon a time the jabber.org server delivered the messages in reverse
chronological order because of a database issue we were having. That was
a bit disorienting!

In general it seems that existing server implementations do the right
thing here. If not, file a bug report.

Jabber Software Foundation