[Standards-JIG] About Presence probe in 3921

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Wed Nov 15 20:24:21 UTC 2006

Hi,

  Quoting from Initial Presence[1] in rfc 3921 :
"/Upon receiving initial presence from a client, the user's server MUST
do the following if there is not already one or more available resources
for the user (if there is already one or more available resources for
the user, the server obviously does not need to send the presence
probes, since it already possesses the requisite information):/"

I think we should remove the content within the brackets - servers MUST
not attempt to do any form of caching of presence of remote entities :
even if it is for different resource of the same bare jid.
The local server never possesses the requisite info - only the remote
server does.

In the case of S2S, this would lead to incorrect presence, or worse
presence leaks.
Within the same server - it does not really make sense, server knows
statuses anyway : no need for explicit probe.
For more elaboration, please refer here[2].

The same is present in the bis drafts too.

Regards,
Mridul

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#presence-resp-initial
[2] http://blogs.sun.com/mridul/entry/corner_cases_of_presence_probes