[Standards-JIG] Historical XEPs

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 21:58:56 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> IMHO it would be good to discuss upgrading more of these to Standards
> Track. The following seem especially worthy:
>
> - Private XML Storage and the specs that depend on it

Hopefully we can depricate this in favour of PEP.

> - Entity Time

IIRC we had a rough concensus to create an (almost) duplicate Standards
Track XEP (the difference being that the new XEP would use XEP-0082)?
And *immediately* depricate XEP-0090. The transition should be smooth
because it would be trivial for implementations to respond to both
protocols over a long transition period.

> - Last Activity
> - Delayed Delivery
> - Software Version

+1

> I think that PASS and Message Events should be deprecated.

+1

> Search and vcard-temp are borderline Standards-Track I think.

If vCard became Standards Track then we'd have two Standards Track XEPs
with similar purposes. It would be nice to depricate vCard in favour of
XEP-0154 (User Profile) and PEP.

IMHO search isn't a pretty protocol (for historical reasons). If we make
it Standards Track then now might be a good time to move the protocol
forward another step? (e.g. by depricating the fields outside the x:data
form)

- Ian