[Standards-JIG] Re: Historical XEPs

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Thu Nov 16 22:36:11 UTC 2006

> Old XML Storage fails when you want to store a list of items (like
> bookmarks): you cannot easily add/remove one item. And more fun starts
> when you have more then one connected resource. You don't know if
> other
> instance changed something (because there are no event notifications).
> Not to mention race conditions.

Other XEPs and RFC parts have the same requirements (adding/removing
items, notifying connected resources of changes, ...), and don't use
PEP either ?

Are we suddenly affraid to make protocols tailored to their goal,
with an eye on making it easy to implement for clients, and are we
going to start making nails out of every problem for our PubSub and
Jingle hammers ? Besides, dragging in explicit creation of nodes and
custom node configurations for PEP (i.e. whitelist nodes) is not much
fun for a simple IM client to implement just to get private XML storage.

cheers,
Remko