[Standards-JIG] Re: Historical XEPs

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Thu Nov 16 22:38:46 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> In fact it's already pretty much in PEP, since a PEP node with an access
>>> model of "whitelist" and no entities on the whitelist effectively
>>> results in a node that enables private data storage. However, nothing in
>>> XEP-0163 (or elsewhere) really explains how that would work in detail.
>> Wasn't this added just to make private storage via PEP possible? ;)
>> It wasn't a part of older PEP, the extended-presence PEP. Now we have
>> PErsonal Pubsub ;)
>
> Well, the "whitelist" access model is part of the core pubsub protocol.
> And the node owner should always be allowed to subscribe or retrieve
> items. So a "whitelist" access model with no subscribers other than the
> other should enable the owner to use that node however they want, i.e.,
> personal storage / eventing for the owner's resources. Or so it seems to me.

Yes, but (if I can recall well) first versions of the XEP didn't require
PEP service to implement much more than needed for the smart defaults,
so you could have a PEP service without "whitelist" access model.

But it's not so important now.

--
Maciek                       A: It's against natural order of reading.
 xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net   Q: Why is that?