[Standards-JIG] Re: component protocol

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Nov 16 22:42:01 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> I agree that TLS+SASL is the right way for components to connect to the
> server. Are you saying that they would use the "jabber:server"
> namespace? Also does it make sense for components to be able to connect
> to each other (mesh network) without going through the router?

I didn't mean that each component should implement it's own full s2s
implementation.

I think the components could just connect to "their" server and use this
server as a "smart host". They could even connect to other ports than
5269 on the server (like components at present to as well).

What I want to propose is that their connection uses the same stream
protocol as s2s links with the exception, that they would be bi-directional.

Basically this would mean, that we change the links namespace from
"jabber:component:accept" to "jabber:server". The different namespace is
not necessary as the server can detect the type of connection by the
entity that authenticates (and optionally by using another socket for
incoming component connections than for incoming s2s connections).
And we would change the authentication from the <hash/> element to using
SASL.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56