[Standards-JIG] Historical XEPs

Daniel Henninger jadestorm at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 17 00:00:16 UTC 2006

>> Search and vcard-temp are borderline Standards-Track I think.
>>

> If vCard became Standards Track then we'd have two Standards Track
> XEPs with similar purposes. It would be nice to depricate vCard in
> favour of XEP-0154 (User Profile) and PEP.

I'd have to agree, but be sure to bury vcard avatars (XEP-0153) and
put a real nail in the coffin of XEP-0164 (vcard filtering) as well.
It'll "suck" for a lot of folk who have implemented vcard avatars,
but we've all been burdened being in  this state of "well is vcard
the right thing to do or not?".

Can we consider moving to kill XEP-0008 (iq-based avatars) in lieu of
XEP-0084 (user avatars) as well?  With the recent improvements to
PEP, XEP-0084 is no longer a burden IMO and having three different
protocols is nuts.

> IMHO search isn't a pretty protocol (for historical reasons). If we
> make it Standards Track then now might be a good time to move the
> protocol forward another step? (e.g. by depricating the fields
> outside the x:data form)

Hell, to be frank, I kinda wish we could bury having the non-x:data
fields in jabber:iq:register as well.  ;)  Yet another "why do I have
to do this twice?" type of thing.

Anyway.  ;)

Daniel