[Standards-JIG] Re: component protocol

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Fri Nov 17 08:03:13 UTC 2006

I support Matthias approach here. If we make components able to connect
directly, they become de-facto similar to IM servers, with the associated
advantages and drawbacks. In particular, it could impose a dependence on DNS
which components do not need.
IMO components are meant to extend the functionality of an associated
server, and sometimes do not provide services which are visible to an end
users. They may need to receive stanzas independently from any DNS
resolution. In many cases, they will be part of a greater whole comprising a
home server.
Rationalizing the namespace is probably the way to go. But as many servers
use the "jabber:component:accept" to differentiate from an S2S connection we
need to come up with a better alternative than just connecting on a
different port. Maybe adding a new optional feature on the stream...

Jean-Louis