[Standards-JIG] Re: component protocol

Daniel Noll daniel at noll.id.au
Sat Nov 18 11:20:24 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 02:51, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> There are the same problems with jabber:client/jabber:server, that is
> true. I described them about a year ago on this list, when I made
> jabberd14 fully namespace compliant.
> Today it seems, that most Jabber software still does not really work
> with namespace support, but handles the xmlns attributes as normal
> attributes. As long as you do it that way, you will really not get any
> problems. But if you think the XML way and work with real namespace
> support you get into problems with the shifting of them.

Indeed.

The problem comes if it isn't your own choice to think "the XML way" but you
happen to be using a third-party library to parse the stream.  For one
example, Java-based libraries all suffer this issue.  They get around it in
various different ways (when I was writing my own I got around it by hacking
the SAX stream to completely remove the namespace and return them in the
empty namespace, and reinserting them later on) but it would be much easier
if there were only one namespace for all streams.

The only potentially valid reason for there to be multiple namespaces at
present is that for S2S connections, "from" is compulsory on stanzas.  But at
the same time, it's quite possible for two documents in the same namespace to
have different schemas (e.g. an XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1 document.)

Daniel