[Standards-JIG] Lost password XEP?

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sun Nov 19 14:07:35 UTC 2006

Hi Justin!

Justin Karneges schrieb:
> However, Psi still does not support iq-get with account registration, and this
> is somewhat deliberate.  By the time the iq-get problem came to my attention,
> XMPP-Core was being written without account registration support.  My
> assumption was that both iq:auth and account registration would be deprecated
> soon.
>
> In fact, XEP-0078 is now deprecated.  XEP-0077, however, is not, but this is
> probably because it serves two purposes, the other being gateway
> registration.  I think it is a fair time to consider deprecating iq:register
> in the context of account registration.

I think Psi should either drop to support inband registration completely
or support XEP-0077. By implementing inband registration in the current
broken way, it causes more harm than good.

Even if you think account registration should change to being made on
the web, supporting XEP-0077 would be good, as with this XEP you can
also tell the client the URI where the registration page can be found.
And I guess even if we do not do inband registration, it would be good
if a client can point the user to the account registration page.

BTW: I updated jabberd14 to verify that the fields it requested gets
sent by the client. Therefore if a server requests the <email/> field,
Psi will now fail to register an account. I know, that this is now the
cause at amessage.*, swissjabber.* (currently except swissjabber.ch) and
xmpp.eu/jabber.eu.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56