[Standards-JIG] Historical XEPs

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Nov 19 23:23:08 UTC 2006

Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Yes, one node per namespace, but we don't need jabber:iq:private node:
> we can use storage:bookmarks or storage:rosternotes for node names. And
> one node may contain multiple items (many bookmarks or annotations).

Yes. Although, AFAICT, PEP currently only requires support for a single
item per node. It specifies that persistent nodes (i.e. multiple items
per node) are "OPTIONAL". It seems we might need to add support for
'persist_items' to the PEP "MUST" list?

Then, to make PEP-based "Private Data Storage" easy for clients, we
would need to allow automatic node creation for persistent as well as
transient nodes (in addition to for any access model). For example by
supporting a <configure/> sibling of the <publish/> element (see stanza
below)? The <configure/> element would be ignored if the node already
exists. This would also be a nice short-cut for clients to use in cases
other than Private Data Storage.

- Ian

<iq from='juliet at capulet.com/balcony' type='set' id='create-bookmarks'>
    <publish node='http://jabber.org/protocol/prefs'>
      <item id="fje98djh2j9s">
        <storage xmlns='storage:bookmarks'>
          <url name='Complete Works of Shakespeare'
               url='http://the-tech.mit.edu/Shakespeare/'/>
        </storage>
      </item>
    </publish>