[Standards-JIG] Historical XEPs

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 21:12:09 UTC 2006

On 11/17/06, Ian Paterson <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk> wrote:
> I like building block protocols like PEP. It often takes years until new
> protocols are implemented across most servers. (Commercial server
> developers often have to wait until their marketing departments identify
> significant customer demand). Building block protocols allow new
> protocols to be developed without requiring server developers to
> implement anything at all. XEP-0189 is a good example.
>
> IMO as long as XMPP allows multiple resources to connect at the same
> time, then some form of pubsub is the right place for (all?)
> personal/private data storage.

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party on this one.  As I read this
thread, the comments that began buzzing around in my head basically
run along the same lines as those that Maciek and Ian mention.  I
think it is key that we provide these building blocks.  I can look at
50 different "legacy Web 2.0" (haha) sites and easily imagine how they
could be rewritten with PEP and empty-whitelists in mind.  It would be
nice to enable this sort of thing once on the server and then be able
to leverage n-times the same logic on whatever server "back end" you
choose.

+1 to ensuring PEP can handle the private storage case, and slowly
deprecate 0049.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc