[Standards-JIG] Historical XEPs

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Tue Nov 21 09:01:41 UTC 2006

I am going to rephrase my argument in the light of what Hal wrote. XEP-0049
and PEP serve two different purposes.
- PEP is a push mechanism,
- XEP-0049 is a pull mechanism.

To supersede XEP-0049 by PEP is the wrong approach as it would *mandate*
that every use case for private storage is a form of PubSub. This is not
true. A part of the use cases for private storage will definitively gain
from being implemented as PEP, but that does not mean we have to deprecate
XEP-0049. That definitively applies to configurations, preferences and
persistence of data between IM sessions which are common in today's IM
clients.
But IM is *not* the only application of XMPP, and other applications may use
a pure "on demand" pull of information.
The two methods must remain available for the developer to be used in
providing the appropriate solution to any given problem.

+1 to PEP handling the PubSub form of private storage use cases.
+1 to keep XEP-0049 for other use cases not falling into the PubSub
category.

Agreed Hal, many Web applications would benefit from being rewritten with
PubSub/PEP handling some of their processes. And XMPP definitively fit
nicely the bill here. But they would still need HTTP to serve pages...
As I said above, it is more a matter of PEP and XEP-0049 than PEP or
XEP-0049.

Jean-Louis