[Standards-JIG] Historical XEPs

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 11:07:15 UTC 2006

Remko Tronçon wrote:
>> But IM is *not* the only application of XMPP, and other applications
>> may use
>> a pure "on demand" pull of information.
>
> PEP does not prohibit this. Just do not subscribe to the node (or
> rather, do not specify interest in it in your capabilities node), and
> do a PubSub 'get' to your node each time you want the information.

Yes. PEP and XEP-0060 have been deliberately designed to be able to
support either push or pull.

IMO PEP offers the best of both worlds. A node configured for "Pull with
change notifications" is ideal for many of the applications that
XEP-0049 has been used for.

For example, each connected resource that supports a particular
preferences format will pull the preferences before sending first
presence. If the preferences are changed later by another resource then
it will be informed. So it doesn't need to worry about all the difficult
synchronization issues.

PEP does everything XEP-0049 does, and much more.

- Ian