[Standards-JIG] wildcards in certs

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Tue Nov 21 22:38:53 UTC 2006

Hi Peter!

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> Currently, wildcards are not allowed in the XMPP OID defined in RFC
> 3920, but it seems they might be quite useful. What do people here think
> about allowing them?

I don't think, that we need wildcards in id-on-xmppAddr, as I currently
think that wildcards are only useful in xmppAddresses, that only consist
of a domain (i.e. having no user and no resource).

I'd prefer to use the dNSName OID to be used for such wildcarded
addresses. In my optinion id-on-xmppAddr should be limited to only
contain valid XMPP addresses, and a wildcarded domain is no valid XMPP
address.

Therefore I'd like to see wildcard support, but I am against using
id-on-xmppAddr for this.

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56