[Standards-JIG] NEW: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Nov 22 00:09:36 UTC 2006

Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 3:21 pm, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>> Version 0.1 of XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping) has been released.
>>
>> Abstract: This document defines an XMPP protocol extension for sending
>> pings over an XML stream.
>
> My initial reaction to this XEP is that it has considerable overlap with
> XEP-0198 (Stanza Acknowledgements).  In particular, stream-level pings are
> already covered in XEP-0198.
>
> XMPP Ping also proposes an end-to-end ping mechanism.  This may not be a bad
> idea, but I see it as serving a completely different purpose than
> stream-level pings.  So, my initial suggestion would be to reduce XMPP Ping
> to only cover e2e pings.

Well, when I posted to the list last time, some folks much preferred the
IQ approach to the top-level element approach:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2006-November/012923.html

So my initial suggestion would be to pare back XEP-0198 to cover only
acknowledgements and use IQs for all the pings. :-)

/psa