[Standards-JIG] NEW: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Nov 22 16:56:21 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 12:41 am, Philipp Hancke wrote:
> While this is really easy to implement...
> * why is there a distinction between stream level pings and e2e pings?

Stream-level pings and e2e pings carry different meanings.  A stream ping/pong
could likely be used as a form of transmission tracking.  If you receive a
pong reply, then by the nature of TCP you'll know that all of your prior
transmissions were received by the stream peer.  On the other hand, an e2e
pong wouldn't mean anything about prior data reception.

>    How are s2s stream level pings supposed to work if there should be no
>    to and from attributes?

That's a good point.  Probably the document was written with only c2s
seriously considered.  Additionally, with s2s, the ping goes across one TCP
connection, and the pong comes back on another.  Doesn't seem much like a
stream-level ping at all...

I know some people seem to have an aversion to new top-level elements, but
this is one of those situations where they'd make absolute sense.

-Justin