[Standards-JIG] NEW: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Nov 22 17:27:05 UTC 2006

Philipp Hancke wrote:

> * why is there a distinction between stream level pings and e2e pings?
>   How are s2s stream level pings supposed to work if there should be no
>   to and from attributes?

I don't think there is a distinction. The way XMPP works now is this: if
you are a client and you don't include a 'to' address, the stanza gets
handled by the server on your behalf. So for client-to-server you could
leave off the 'to' address (and obviously the 'from' address). But
that's merely optional. I think for server-to-server you'd include the
'to' addresses. So how many hops the ping applies to depends on what the
'to' is and how far that endpoint is from the sender.

> * why set instead of get?

Heh, I was wondering that as well when I wrote it up yesterday. I have
no big preference between set and get here. Probably get makes more sense.

Jabber Software Foundation