[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Wed Nov 22 19:12:43 UTC 2006

XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.2 of XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This document defines an XMPP protocol extension for sending pings over XML streams.
>
> Changelog: Changed IQ-set to IQ-get; clarified requirements; specified protocol description; added use cases. (psa)
>
> CVS Diff: http://www.jabberstudio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cvs/xmpp/extensions/xep-0199.xml?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

Hi,

  I still dont understand why the clause about ignoring iq is present :
response to iq is a MUST and there is no reason to violate it here.
In all cases, whether iq is blocked at server, client does not
understand ping or user is unavailable - it ends up as a service
unavailable error.
We must just reuse that in case user does not want to reveal his
presence : the sender will have no way to distinguish it.

Mridul