[Standards-JIG] NEW: XEP-0198 (Stanza Acknowledgements)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Nov 22 22:56:56 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 12:42 pm, Philipp Hancke wrote:
> XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> [...]
>
> Is it possible to negotiate ack and ping separate from each other?
> Implementing ping-pong is trivial, implementing ack looks more
> difficult (currently) and I think I would like to have
> stream level ping-pong NOW.

We first need to decide what the meaning of the stream-level ping-ping should
be.  Traditionally, a pong indicates that all data sent over the TCP
connection prior to the ping has been received.  However, XEP-0198 introduces
the concept of "acceptance" as independent from a pong, in order to reconcile
the issue of connection throttling (often called "karma") and ping timeouts.
Therefore, a XEP-0198 ping-pong cannot be used to determine of stanzas have
been received.  It is purely just to test if the TCP connection is alive.

I'm not opposed to decoupling ack and ping, but the XEP-0198 ping is slightly
special, and its meaning only makes sense within the context of the whole
spec.

I'm still interested to hear what people think about XEP-0198's attempt to
play nice with throttling.  Does anyone care about this?  What is the state
of throttling in modern servers today?  Do servers do it anymore?  Does
anyone else but me notice the problem you get when you combine throttling and
N-second ping timeouts?

-Justin