[Standards-JIG] NEW: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Thu Nov 23 22:35:03 UTC 2006

Daniel Noll wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:15, Mridul wrote:
>
>> The end to end pings are kind of weird ... other layers in the middle
>> could block it - privacy/blocking lists.
>>

> So in other words it suffers from the same issue as ICMP pings, only with ICMP
> it's firewall policies blocking it.
>
> Daniel

This difference here is that anything which blocks in between will send
back a service unavailable iq error.
The way the jep is phrased - if the client chooses to 'ignore' it, it
will just silently blocked : which in itself is a presence leak since it
is a behavioural change.
Dropping iq sounds really weird to me btw.

Regards,
Mridul