[Standards-JIG] Re: wildcards in certs

Mridul Mridul.Muralidharan at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 28 10:09:50 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> Alexander Gnauck wrote:

>>> i agree with Matt. I would not like to install a different certificate
>>> for each component/transport.
>>>
>> Agreed. I will write up some proposed text for rfc3920bis here soon...
>>

> How does this look within point 8 of Section 5.1 (some text borrowed
> from RFC 2818)?
>
> ******
>
> If a JID for an XMPP client (e.g., an end user account) is represented
> in a certificate, it MUST be represented as a UTF8String within an
> otherName entity inside the subjectAltName, using the [ASN.1] Object
> Identifier "id-on-xmppAddr" specified in Section 5.1.1 of this document.
>  If a JID for an XMPP server is represented in a certificate, it SHOULD
> at a minimum be represented as a UTF8String within an otherName entity
> inside the subjectAltName, using the [ASN.1] Object Identifier
> "id-on-xmppAddr" specified in Section 5.1.1 of this document; however,
> the JID for an XMPP server MAY be represented as a subjectAltName
> extension of type dNSName, where the dNSName may contain the wildcard
> character '*', which is considered to match any single domain name
> component or component fragment (e.g., *.example.com matches
> foo.example.com but not bar.foo.example.com).
>
> ******
>
> Peter

In this case, why not just remove the xmpp oid and rely only on dNSName ?
What is the additional functionality provided by the xmpp oid ?
dNSName is defined by http-tls for purpose of https ... we could decide
to reuse that entirely, or define xmpp's way of doing things : there
need not always be a match between both.

Regards,
Mridul