[Standards-JIG] New version of chess game protocol

Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. darco at deepdarc.com
Wed Oct 4 18:02:08 UTC 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Michal vorner Vaner wrote:

> Hello,
> there is a new version of the chess game protocol in the inbox.
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/inbox/chess.html
>
> If you want to have a look, I would be delighted to hear opinions.

Looks great! I'm actually starting to get excited about this. ^_^

A few observations:

* I disagree with the use of the 'gid' and 'sid' attributes. There is
already a tag for this purpose: <thread>. This will allow clients/
servers to recognize that all messages in that game are related--even
if it doesn't understand that it is a chess game. Support for the
<thread> tag should be mandatory.

* You should add a <body> (and possibly a subject) tag to the invite
message example, to show that you can have custom invitation messages.

* Perhaps you could explicitly allow that a given implementation MAY
allow the user to add commentary (in the <body> tag) to a given move,
and that implementations SHOULD display any commentary associated
with an incoming move.

* I would not consider the receipt of an unavailable presence as an
automatic forfeit. What if I get temporarily disconnected?

* For cases where there are spectators, why not use a MUC room? We
should try to take advantage of such facilities as much as possible.
It will make client implementation of this protocol more simple, and
thus more people will implement it. It is also more scalable for
games with large numbers of spectators.

Robert Quattlebaum
Jabber: darco at deepdarc.com
eMail:  darco at deepdarc.com