[Standards-JIG] MUC presence issues

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Thu Oct 5 18:00:20 UTC 2006

Hello,

On all MUC implementations i tested there are problems with users
staying online in the room for hours/days after they lost the network
connection for some reason or client did not send his unavailable
presence correctly.

Problem 2 is that i often need 2 attempts to join a room and see all
participants and the message history. This seems to be related to
problem 1 when the MUC server assumes i am still connected.

I think we have to make some extensions in JEP-0045 to solve this
problems. I think the only way to fix this problems are keep alive
packets which tell the muc server that im sill there. Or a echo packet
or presence probe from the Muc server to the user.

Alex