[Standards-JIG] MUC presence issues

Michal vorner Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Thu Oct 5 19:02:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 08:00:20PM +0200, Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On all MUC implementations i tested there are problems with users
> staying online in the room for hours/days after they lost the network
> connection for some reason or client did not send his unavailable
> presence correctly.
>
> Problem 2 is that i often need 2 attempts to join a room and see all
> participants and the message history. This seems to be related to
> problem 1 when the MUC server assumes i am still connected.
>
> I think we have to make some extensions in JEP-0045 to solve this
> problems. I think the only way to fix this problems are keep alive
> packets which tell the muc server that im sill there. Or a echo packet
> or presence probe from the Muc server to the user.

Which effectively disallows staying silent for a longer time for people
with older clients. Or you want to negotiate the keep-alives and use
them only when supported?

And, do you want to have them on the c2s level, or on the MUC level? On
the MUC level, it would mean every component will soon have its own
keep-alive mechanism, if on c2s level, if the server 'just disappears',
you have the same problem, the user stays there.

I do not deny some mechanism would be nice, (once I 'met' a person
connected from web interface and being silent for several days and such
zombie had to be kicked manually), but I thing keep-alive is not a good
way.

--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
		-- Samuel Goldwyn

Michal 'vorner' Vaner