[Standards-JIG] Re: Message importance

Lukáš 'Spike' Polívka lukas.polivka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 09:19:57 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, Alexander Gnauck <gnauck at ag-software.de> wrote:
> Ian Paterson wrote:
> > Tomasz Melcer wrote:
> >> Sometimes I want to send a message to friend to notify him of
> >> something unimportant, but he is DND and i don't want to disturb him.
> >> The ideal solution for that would be to mark message as 'unimportant',
> >> so that my friend's server would store it and send as soon as he is
> >> online.
> >
> > This could be achieved with XEP-0079, since AMP is extensible...
>
> i agree with Ian.
>
> There is lots of stuff which we should include with AMP.
> If you send a message which is not important (no IM message) then we
> also should be able to tell the server some routing rules. If a
> unimportant message could not be delivered for any reason then i don't
> want a immediate bounce. The server should put this message in a spool
> and retry to deliver it according to the rules i told him with AMP in my
> message.
>
> Alex

I personally think that when my friend is in DND mode then it's his
client's job not to generate any notifications (or generate only
certain notifications, e.g. change trayicon, not some OSD across the
whole screen). You don't need any protocol extension for this, you
could only define some kind of Best Practice XEP or just use common
sense. :)

Lukas Polivka
IM (XMPP/Jabber/Google Talk): spike411 at jabber.cz
ICQ, AIM, MSN: Never ever!