[Standards-JIG] MUC, PEP and caps. Was: MUC presence issues

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 09:21:19 UTC 2006

On 10 Oct 2006, at 10:01, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> I still have to do a bit of catch-up on the discussion on PEP, but I
> don't like the implicit subscription to nodes using caps, that is
> suggested in section 9 of XEP-0163. Certainly in the case of MUC, I am
> afraid it will generate a lot of unused/unwanted notifications. I
> don't
> think we have fully thought trough the interactions between MUC and
> pubsub, but am willing to be proven wrong.

I think it's probably ok because one doesn't aquire a presence
subscription to the members of a muc room, and as such PEP isn't
going to fire off the notifications. From the same section:
"""
Also, note that this works only if the account owner has a presence
subscription to the contact and the contact has a presence
subscription to the account owner.
"""
I'm willing to believe there are interactions we haven't thought of
though and I guess we await implementations to find them.

/K

--
Kevin Smith
Psi XMPP Client Project Leader (http://psi-im.org)