[Standards-JIG] Re: MUC, PEP and caps. Was: MUC presence issues

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Tue Oct 10 09:27:36 UTC 2006

> I still have to do a bit of catch-up on the discussion on PEP, but I
> don't like the implicit subscription to nodes using caps, that is
> suggested in section 9 of XEP-0163.

The caps in the presence make perfect sense to me: it is a way of
saying that my client is interested in all avatar information that it
can get. It gives an easy way for a client to get extended presence
information, without needing to implement the full subscription
protocols, which is a lot harder than it sounds (there's a chain of
things that need to be done, with possible errors in between, and
subscription management issues). Moreover, AFAICT, it is the *only*
decent way of guaranteeing you get the information from *all* your
contacts at all time.

If you are a person that likes more fine-grained control over
subscriptions (i'm fairly certain almost no IM client will be), then
you can always omit the capabilities broadcast, and do manual
subscription.

cheers,
Remko