[Standards-JIG] Re: Message importance

Tomasz Melcer liori at exroot.org
Tue Oct 10 15:06:46 UTC 2006

Lukáš 'Spike' Polívka napisał(a):
> I personally think that when my friend is in DND mode then it's his
> client's job not to generate any notifications (or generate only
> certain notifications, e.g. change trayicon, not some OSD across the
> whole screen). You don't need any protocol extension for this, you
> could only define some kind of Best Practice XEP or just use common
> sense. :)

If he will turn off his client without changing his state to online, and
login into the account with another client (possibly at another
machine), he won't get that message.

Some people always have dnd state at work or at their mobile clients. In
such case their clients would keep such messages indefinitely. Moreover,
your solution would make client more complicated, f.e. it would need to
store that message somewhere... some clients cannot do that. So there's
need to store such messages on server.

Tomasz Melcer