[Standards-JIG] JEP-0171 Questions (Language Translation) - Translating To Unknown Recipients

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Tue Oct 10 17:03:08 UTC 2006

In JEP-0171, all of the examples deal with translating messages - especially point-to-point messages. This is a good use case, but of limited value.

There are a number of packets that are sent from a client to the sever, where the sending client doesn't know the language it needs to translate into. For example I frequently send presence:

This status message needs to be translated. The problem is that I'm not sure to whom the server is going to send the status message. Even if I were sure, I wouldn't necessarly know their languages. There's also no guarantee I'm even online, as they may be accessing my presece via IQ:Last or some other mechanism.

This same case exists for MUC - if I've got a big MUC room, I want to send a single message to the server. I don't know the various language preferences of each user in the MUC room (ok , ok, I have their presence in most cases so I could do it, but there are a MUC cases where the room doesn't broadcast presence for all participants). Likewise, I may not even be online, and they're just requesting room history.

There needs to be added to the JEP a mechanism by which the SERVER can request translation. This means I announce presence, and the server looks at each person, determines their language, and performs translation.

--
Chris Mullins