[Standards-JIG] Re: Message importance

Lukáš 'Spike' Polívka lukas.polivka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 20:34:03 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06, Tomasz Melcer <liori at exroot.org> wrote:
> Lukáš 'Spike' Polívka napisał(a):
> > I personally think that when my friend is in DND mode then it's his
> > client's job not to generate any notifications (or generate only
> > certain notifications, e.g. change trayicon, not some OSD across the
> > whole screen). You don't need any protocol extension for this, you
> > could only define some kind of Best Practice XEP or just use common
> > sense. :)
>
> If he will turn off his client without changing his state to online, and
> login into the account with another client (possibly at another
> machine), he won't get that message.
>
> Some people always have dnd state at work or at their mobile clients. In
> such case their clients would keep such messages indefinitely. Moreover,
> your solution would make client more complicated, f.e. it would need to
> store that message somewhere... some clients cannot do that. So there's
> need to store such messages on server.
>
> Tomasz Melcer

But he gets the message (unless he sets negative priority as well) and
clients usually store the messages anyway. The AMP approach doesn't
make clients any more complicated? Really? I think that people should
probably learn how to use XMPP (and clients should help them -- e.g.
by showing that the only connected resource has negative priority.
Based on this you could decide if you want to send the message to the
bare or full JID.).

Lukas Polivka
IM (XMPP/Jabber/Google Talk): spike411 at jabber.cz
ICQ, AIM, MSN: Never ever!