[Standards-JIG] rfc3920bis, RC4: Version Number Change?

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Wed Oct 11 01:07:50 UTC 2006

With the removal of Privacy Lists, should we bump the stream version
number?

<stream:stream
       xmlns='jabber:client'
       xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
       xml:lang='en'
       from='juliet at example.com'
       to='example.com'
       version='1.0'>

could become:

<stream:stream
       xmlns='jabber:client'
       xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
       xml:lang='en'
       from='juliet at example.com'
       to='example.com'
       version='1.1'>

I guess the real question is: Is this a user affecting change, or are we
just removing something that was never used? As far as I know, there are
a few client/server implementations out there than did have this.

I bring this up, as I'm reviewing XEP-0191 right now. That is the
replacement for privacy lists. Right now, it advertises a feature via
Disco. Once we move it into the standard, there's no need for this
feature advertisment - we can assume it's there. But to do this, we need
to bump the version number.

--
Chris Mullins