[Standards-JIG] rfc3920bis, RC4: Version Number Change?

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Wed Oct 11 05:24:08 UTC 2006

JD Conley schrieb:
> A stream feature for it would be helpful for advertising support rather
> than disco. It seems like a feature that a server might not support due
> to configuration, such as StartTLS, SASL + DIGESTMD5, etc.

I don't think that this is a stream feature. IMHO stream features should
only advertize functionallity provided by the "stream layer" of the
protocol. (For at least some of the server implementations, stream
features are not accessable where there privacy list replacement has to
be implemented.)

As well that I don't think that a stream version number change whould be
correct for this as we do not change the way XMPP / streams are working.
It's just other payload we transport over XMPP - like when adding some
other namespace.

I feel that service discovery is still the right way to advertize this
feature. I don't think service discovery has to be an XMPP feature
itself for that. To find out if the privacy list replacement is
available without using anything else than XMPP, you can just send a
configuration query for it and see if you get back an error; if you
choose to use more than basic XMPP, you will do service discovery.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56