[Standards-JIG] XEP0168 - UDP Sessions - Add UDP handshake

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Wed Oct 11 18:12:07 UTC 2006

I'm looking forward to having UDP sessions between clients. This opens
up so many possibilities for rich client applications.

I'm concerned, however, that most implementations will blow it. I'll
click the connect button, they'll do all the IQ packets shown in the
spec, but nothing will actually work.

Through experience I can say that clients will leave out all the NAT
Traversal stuff, and just assume it's an end-to-end connection with no
firewalls or NATs.

This will result in poor end-user experiences, as everything will say,
"It works", but nothing will work.

To fix this, I would like to see an actual UDP handshake added into the
protocol. This would make certain the connection is live before we
proceed and tell the user everything is up and running. Seems as if it
would be a low-impact change, and would result in a dramatically
improved user experience.

--
Chris Mullins
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins