[Standards-JIG] proto-xep: Shared XML Document Editing - use MUC

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Wed Oct 11 18:43:47 UTC 2006

This XEP really needs to sit on top of MUC.

Many of the features this XEP would benefit by are aready in MUC:
- Affiliations
- Persistance
- History
- Moderators / Voice
- Observers
- Invitations, Password Protections
- Data Forms Configuration
- Discovery and Enumeration of in-progress editing sessions
- Anonymity for participants

Also, many of the use cases for this involve inviting additional people
into the sharing session. People will come in and out of this session,
especially if it's a long-lived session.

I don't believe this requries changes to the MUC server component beyond
perhaps a different room configuration data form . Everything would
still be client side.

If this jep were implemented in this fashion, I believe it would see a
lot of use. The 1:1 editing session is of very limited use, especially
without the features described above. By making ALL editing sessions MUC
based, the usage of the standard is greatly increased.

--
Chris Mullins