[Standards-JIG] proto-xep - Shared XML Documents - Hash Node

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Wed Oct 11 18:48:45 UTC 2006

I don't understand the point of the "hash" element. The name "hash" is
very misleading. It's really "id". Seems as if we should just use the
standard id attribute on the packet. Nothing is preventing us from
adding an "id" to the message stanza.

I see that it's unique as sent by a user, but over what time period? I
imagine these editing sessions could go on a long time (especially if
they're MUC based), which means I may get connected/disconnected which
will, in turn, generally mean my hash id's are going to start over at 1,
as the client doesn't really have a mechanism for asking the owner "what
hash ID should I start with?".

If uniqueness is really required, then we should use GUID's or provide a
mechanism for "give me an ID".

--
Chris Mullins