[Standards-JIG] proto-xep - File Sharing - PEP Based

Nick Parker nickp at bu.edu
Wed Oct 11 20:45:59 UTC 2006

1,2: Excellent idea. I'm starting on it now (to the detriment of my
homework.. :) ).

This also got me thinking about obtaining the same file through multiple
means. For example, if the files are also available on a
web/ftp/bittorrent server and this is just an announcer, then it can
include their urls in the listing, while (optionally) still having
direct filesend available, too.

3,4,5: The management of who has access to which files was left out,
since I figured it was up to the server-side implementation to decide
how to manage this. All that the protocol defines is, given a set of
files which you have determined as available to a given user, how to
notify the user about those files. I might be missing your point, though.