[Standards-JIG] XEP0168 - UDP Sessions - Add UDP handshake

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Wed Oct 11 20:48:48 UTC 2006

Justin Karneges Wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 11:12, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> To fix this, I would like to see an actual UDP handshake added into
the
>> protocol. This would make certain the connection is live before we
>> proceed and tell the user everything is up and running.

> This is exactly what XEP-0176 (Jingle ICE Transport) is for.

The problem is that XEP-0168 doesn't require ICE. It simply says, "Send
your IP Address" and from there you're done. There's no requirement to
use ICE. Past experience says a number of people will implement XEP-0168
in a way that doesn't actually work with NAT and Firewalls. I would like
to see that prevented, by having a working handshake over the new
channel be a requirement for completion.

--
Chris Mullins