[Standards-JIG] proto-xep - File Sharing - PEP Based

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Wed Oct 11 20:54:29 UTC 2006

[control over files]

Let's say I want all the .mp3 files from my local garage band to be
available to everyone. I don't need authentication, authorization, or
anything. This would be a PubSub Anonymous node, and would work out of
the box.

Let's say I want all of my Coversant Design Documents to be available to
Coversant Employees (all of whom are on my roster). I can do this with
PubSub as well.

Let's say I want to allow other people who work at Coversant to publish
new design documents, and have those files show up in my Node. Pubsub
has a mechanism by which I can grant people permissions to do this.

Let's say I want to explicitly forbid the Evil Marketing Guys from
seeing my design documents, even through they also work at Coversant. I
can do this with PubSub as well.

Having access to all of that infrastructure, which is already done and
working, makes the filing sharing case much richer.

--
Chris Mullins
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins