[Standards-JIG] rfc3921bis, RC3

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 23:14:42 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> Oh, and the stuff about probes related to directed presence is here:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3921bis-00.html#presence-directed

The recipient already knows the content of the directed available
presence stanza it received. So, IMO, if the user is still available the
server should only respond to the probe with an *empty* presence stanza.
Returning the "last broadcasted available presence" may well leak
information that the other entity has no right to, and/or provide
incorrect information (e.g. if I'm DND to everyone except the occupants
of a room).

Also I think it would be helpful to indicate that once the client has
gone offline then the server should respond to a probe with the same
error as if the other entity had never been sent directed presence (i.e.
as soon as the client goes offline the server can forget about any
directed presence it sent on the client's behalf).

- Ian