[Standards-JIG] Jingle xeps

Joe Beda jbeda at google.com
Thu Oct 12 16:29:39 UTC 2006

I'm not thinking of a simple redirect or gatewaying to legacy devices.

The scenario was this:
Alice wants to signal Bob.  However, Bob is logged on with multiple
clients.  Alice could use presence/rap to pick one and only one client to
call but that may not be the desired behavior.  Instead, Alice wants all of
Bob's appropriate clients/resources/devices to ring.  This is done with some
server side involvement:

1) Alice signals a call to Bob's bare JID.
2) Bobs server "forks" the call to each of Bob's resources.
3) All of the resources ring.  Any messages relayed through the server from
individual resources have a "responder" attribute on them to mark where they
are coming from.  (these include transport negotiation and "ringing"
notifications).  However, the signalling still goes through the server.
4) At some point one of the resources accepts the call.  The server can now
get out of the picture and drop its state as the clients can talk to each
other directly.
5) If none of the resources accepts the call for XX seconds, the server
could then cancel all of those forks and start a new fork to a voicemail
system (or send back a redirect).

I think that it is obvious that we are going to want to handle call flow
scenarios like this at some point in the future.  We can try to do this as a
new XEP or a new revision of 166 down the line if we can't work out all of
the details now.

Joe