[Standards-JIG] xmpp.org Namespaces

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Oct 12 22:00:36 UTC 2006

On Thu Oct 12 22:18:42 2006, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Why are namespaces URI strarting with http:// even if they are not
> an URL to a webpage ?

Because they have to be a syntactically URI, which contains a scheme,
and so protocols either have to create a new scheme or else reuse an
existing one. Most people use http scheme URLs, although WebDAV (for
example) uses its own scheme, and IETF protocols use a URN generally.

They don't have to be a valid URL with a resource, although I agree
that we could make the result of resolving the URL be either a
redirect to the XEP, or a short note explaining its usage. It'd be
cute, but largely pointless - anyone who knows of the existence of
namespace URIs will be generally aware that they normally don't have
a resource attached.

Alternately, we could make them be xmpp scheme URIs, pointing at the
resources of people who insisted on adding that part of the protocol.
There's a way to cut down on bloat, eh?

Seriously, though, if we were to change the base URI fo the XMPP
namespaces (presumably only new ones), I'd personally recommend we
simply started using URNs.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/