[Standards-JIG] screen sharing & remote control

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Fri Oct 13 11:06:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 11:11:03AM +0100, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2006, at 06:52, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> >OT: Anyway, I had similar idea - VPN with selected contacts - and get
> >hamachi out of business.
>
> This has been suggested on the Psi forums before as well. While I
> have no wish to drive Hamachi out of business (it's a great and novel
> tool), it would be very convenient to be able to link this in to
> xmpp. However, I do not have any of the requisite knowledge to
> achieve such a thing. If someone wanted to write some console-
> controlled p2p vpn client though, we could do the signalling via xmpp
> clients...hint, hint :)

Neither do I - but I suppose that you can make a jingle channel where
UDP packets can be sent trough. So you can create a virtual network
interface (this is the hard part, of course, depends on the OS and so
on..) and encapsulate every packet as comes to the interface into the
UDP packet and send trough.

Jingle can take the part about NAT traversing, session negotiation and
so on, if you had a more than 1-1 size VPN, you would maybe need to
decide by the IP address to whom send the packet, but the it is still
half the job done by it.

And the fact you could do (from within a plugin in client) just select a
contact and click "Create VPN with this contact" or "Invite this contact
to existing VPN" (with the possibility to have more VPNs separated)
would be nice, I think. You do not need to ask "Who will create the
network" and "What is your name there" and so on.

And about the creation of the client - next year, I'm supposed to pick
some project on university, I might try this then (by the time, Jingle
could have some library that actually worked according to the protocol).

--

This message has optimized support for formating.
Please choose green font and black background so it looks like it should.

Michal "vorner" Vaner