[Standards-JIG] File transfer in MUC

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Fri Oct 13 20:52:58 UTC 2006

>   If I want to transfer a file to all participants in a muc , what
> approach is the client/server supposed to take ?
> If there is a solution for this already , please point me to it - I
> could not find anything ...

There isn't anything out there.

> I am sure others might have alternate implementations and ideas ,
would
> be great to know how you solve this problem.
> We support both (1) and (2) above with our client and server (based on
> which version of client/server you talk to , and a bunch of config
> options) - but would be great if there was some standard directive for
> this usecase.

Your (1) and (2) are both perfectly good implementations. In fact you
may see an incarnation of (2) in an upcoming release of ours (perhaps we
should chat about that later).

However, in the long term, I think we should use
Jingle/ICE/Psuedo-TCP/S5B/IBB/UPnP/whatever-it-takes to create a p2p
mesh that could transfer files using a BitTorrent [1] style algorithm
wrapped in XEP-defined control channels. The MUC room would also take
part in the torrent and take the role of the tracker and probably a long
term repository and policy enforcer.

-JD

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent