[Standards-JIG] Re: xmpp.org Namespaces

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Fri Oct 13 21:51:51 UTC 2006

Chris Mullins wrote:
> Is there a reason we're not going with
> "xmpp://www.xmpp.org/muc/join-room" type URI's?
>
> Now that we have this nice little IRI (or is it a URI? I can never keep
> those two straight!) we should be putting it to use. Seems like they
> would make great namespace names...

If you complaint is that "http://" prefixed URI's don't mean anything,
how exactly would making the URI's prefixed with "xmpp://" make it any
better? What could "xmpp://www.xmpp.org/muc/join-room" possibly mean in
the context of RFC 4622? The best I can speculate is that a correctly
implemented client would attempt to authenticate against the server
"www.xmpp.org" as a user of it own choosing and perhaps it uh... tries
to send a message to the JID "muc/join-room" ??

Hrm. Well I'm confused. It would be a good way to test the parsing code
in your implementation I suppose...

Ben