[Standards-JIG] proto-xep: Shared XML Document Editing - use MUC

Joonas Govenius joonas.govenius at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 22:18:52 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Chris Mullins <chris.mullins at coversant.net> wrote:
> This XEP really needs to sit on top of MUC.
>
> Many of the features this XEP would benefit by are aready in MUC:
> - Affiliations
> - Persistance
> - History
> - Moderators / Voice
> - Observers
> - Invitations, Password Protections
> - Data Forms Configuration
> - Discovery and Enumeration of in-progress editing sessions
> - Anonymity for participants
>
> Also, many of the use cases for this involve inviting additional people
> into the sharing session. People will come in and out of this session,
> especially if it's a long-lived session.
>
> I don't believe this requries changes to the MUC server component beyond
> perhaps a different room configuration data form . Everything would
> still be client side.

My initial intention was to design the XEP so that it wouldn't require
anything beyond MUC. However, that turns out to be messy at one
critical point: joining a session. The current session negotiation
described in the protocol is left over from that attempt. It is
possible for a client to send the state/history of the document to a
new user joining the session but having the server component
understand the protocol and handle connecting users would be a lot
more effective. However, I strongly agree that the server component
should be a an extended MUC component rather than a whole new
component for the reasons you mentioned.

Unfortunately I have _very_ little time to work on this at the moment
because this semester I took courses that are really time consuming...

Joonas