[Standards-JIG] proto-xep: Shared XML Document Editing - use MUC

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Sat Oct 14 05:58:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 06:18:52PM -0400, Joonas Govenius wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Chris Mullins <chris.mullins at coversant.net> wrote:
> >This XEP really needs to sit on top of MUC.
> >
> >Many of the features this XEP would benefit by are aready in MUC:
> >- Affiliations
> >- Persistance
> >- History
> >- Moderators / Voice
> >- Observers
> >- Invitations, Password Protections
> >- Data Forms Configuration
> >- Discovery and Enumeration of in-progress editing sessions
> >- Anonymity for participants
> >
> >Also, many of the use cases for this involve inviting additional people
> >into the sharing session. People will come in and out of this session,
> >especially if it's a long-lived session.
> >
> >I don't believe this requries changes to the MUC server component beyond
> >perhaps a different room configuration data form . Everything would
> >still be client side.
>
> My initial intention was to design the XEP so that it wouldn't require
> anything beyond MUC. However, that turns out to be messy at one
> critical point: joining a session. The current session negotiation
> described in the protocol is left over from that attempt. It is
> possible for a client to send the state/history of the document to a
> new user joining the session but having the server component
> understand the protocol and handle connecting users would be a lot
> more effective. However, I strongly agree that the server component
> should be a an extended MUC component rather than a whole new
> component for the reasons you mentioned.

Seems there would be place for something like EMUC now? A more general
component, where actual MUC would be kind of session configuration
profile and you could either select different profile (where iq's would
be allowed, slightly different rules) or define the rules from scratch?

--

This message has optimized support for formating.
Please choose green font and black background so it looks like it should.

Michal "vorner" Vaner