[Standards-JIG] proto-xep: Shared XML Document Editing - related implementation

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Sat Oct 14 12:37:06 UTC 2006

You did mention this before ;)

The issue with the Netbean link lies in the lack of external documentation
beyond the Javadocs. The implementation is certainly interesting, but one
has to get into the code to have the detail. In particular, the Netbean
approach implements a message abstraction layer on top of the transport
layer. The only provided transport implementation is XMPP, but it is not
obvious to dig out the protocol used. In addition, there are several
collaboration services covered such as co-editing or collaborating on a
project. It would probably help if you could convince the authors to provide
a better protocol documentation.

The Eclipse link is more related to co-editing theory, and provides a rather
clear high level explanation on what would need to be implemented for
defining a shared editing extension from scratch.

To sum-up on one side we have an implementation without protocol
documentation, on the other hand we have a theory and no protocol yet ;)

Jean-Louis